Meetings/2011-05

From Makers Local 256
< Meetings
Revision as of 14:53, 18 May 2011 by Opticron (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Date/Location

  • May 16, 2011
  • 7:30pm
  • Shop
  • All members

Agenda

Topic Presenter
Review of Action Items Chairman
Treasurer's Report Treasurer
Facilities Committee Report Facilities Committee
Project/Event Updates Chairman
Decide next meeting date Chairman
New Member Recognition Secretary
Change Door Code if loss of member Secretary


Action Items

  • Move-in, unpacking, and organization.

Treasurer's Report

  • Term: April 2011
    • Donations: $570.68
    • Members: $1048.76 (35)
    • Expenses: $2934.67
    • Net Profit: $-1315.23
    • Average donation per person: $29.96
    • Average expense per person: $35.28
  • Term: May 2011
    • Donations: $20
    • Members: $494.96 (20)
    • Expenses: $0
    • Net Profit: $514.96
    • Average donation per person: $24.75
    • Average estimated expense per person: $56.05

Facilities Committee

  • Report Based on Meeting Results at 7pm

New Members

NOTE: All new members, meet with the Facilities Committee for your shop walk through.

Discussion

  • Community Garden Project
    • Emergence Garden - Please move it around as needed to achieve equilibrium of best parking and sun exposure. Plants on plastic sheets or bags so they can be dragged around gently.
  • Finances & Publicity
    • Update on Progress with Makers Business Plan
      • Looking for sponsorships at ISDC
      • Liz looking in Starbuck's fundraiser event
    • Can someone help write it and calculate/plan what we need to do for the year?
    • HSV Times Business Writer Budd McLaughlin. Writes for technology business in Huntsville, Sarah Cure (HSV Times Journalist) recommends that we contact him about doing a story on the shop. Can someone take this one?
  • ISDC
    • Results of 5/15 Volunteer Orientation Meeting.
    • Poll Volunteer Status and Prep Status:
      • Gear
        • Computers
        • Security Wire
        • Power Cables
        • Internet Cables and Switches (Routers Provided by ISDC)
        • Color Printer/Scanner/Etc. - spacefelix
      • Media
        • Need:
          • Stickers and Schwag
          • Pamphlets
        • Optional:
          • Letter of Sponsorship
      • People & Presentations:
        • Who is confirmed as volunteering?
        • Who is confirmed for Wednesday setup night and how many will it take?
        • HSIS - Satyam making presentation board.
  • Rules Discussion
    • Alii will be leading a discussion on the rules proposal that is currently being voted on by the board.

Attending

I'm sorry if I left you off this list. I neglected to take attendance at the meeting last night and did this from memory.

  • Matt/mog
  • Heather
  • Kinsey
  • Tim
  • Matt/brim
  • Nathan
  • Justin/ratmandu
  • Alii
  • Dusty
  • Tony
  • Phil
  • Satyam
  • Liz (potential new member)
  • Ray
  • Greg
  • Benalene
  • Ethan
  • Jeff
  • Will(Tuttle)
  • Bob
  • Robert (potential new member)

Meeting Minutes

Treasurer's report from Matt: April looks bad because we paid may's rent early. Expenses are going down month to month because of the new location. Tim and Alii will lead the continuation of the move this week and next weekend.

Facilities report from Tim: We're moving into the new building! We have the keys and the door system should be moved over sometime this week. Tim and Ethan currently make up the facilities committee. There is much work to be done and any help is appreciated. They will be working to keep the new place clean and operable. The frame of the loft in the new building has been reinforced, but work still needs to be done on the floorboards. Benalene will be moving over the glass recycling receptacles. Tim has drawn out a preliminary plan for the layout of the shop as far as usage, see him for more info. I expect this will be emailed out shortly.

From Ethan: The community garden is in temporary planters. Feel free to move them around if they're in the way. Once the locations of the planters settle, we'll see about setting them in permanently. ISDC is this week. It is good exposure to potential sponsors.

ISDC is currently covered for volunteers. Heather and Ethan will work on sponsor letters. Starbucks is supposed to help with a community thing once a month. Liz's location hasn't decided what they're going to choose yet, so this may become available to us. We need a business plan to help with sponsorships (where money comes from and goes to). Jeff is going to look into this. We have some contact from the hsv times business/technical section. Someone wants to visit and do an article on us, but we need to wait until we get settled. ISDC still needs some people to volunteer some projects, pamphlets, and possibly schwag. It was mentioned that we may need a few computer locks to keep the laptops from walking off. Satyam will present HSIS via a trifold or similar display, possibly with a monitor for a slide show. Tim is looking to do something similar, so they may share the kiosk.

Months ago we had a photoshoot that went to popular science. They didn't include us in the article, but it's a nice blurb about hackerspaces. Website and advertising materials need to be updated. PO box needs to be moved if necessary. The next meeting will be Monday June 13 2011.


There was a long but surprisingly civil conversation about the rules proposal. It is being retracted again for a rewrite. It's hard to pin this discussion down, but the gist at the end was:

If you have a problem with something or someone at the shop, make it known ASAP to the person responsible in a friendly way. Do not wait until later. Do not complain to someone unrelated to the problem unless you need mediation and have already tried resolving the issue.

Censorship is BAD.

Having these kinds of problems isn't necessarily bad. We're having growing pains and things like this are to be expected. More discussions on this should take place between now and the next meeting so that the proposal can be modified to fit our organization.