Millard Fillmore will be a cnc mill. One that is so emo it will be able to cut himself. That includes his own electronics, and wooden frame. He will have split personalities, being able to cut, laser engrave and extrude abs plastic anything it can to get the job done. He will be cheap, and be able to built from a kit without any specialty tools. Be easily driven by replicatorg or emc2. He will be free as in speech distributed under an open hardware license.
- cheap < $250
- cutting area 12x12x6
- equal length parts for lead screws, and linear shafts
- few custom parts as possible
- few wood cuts as possible or in small enough sections machine can cut itself, Keep wood parts to a 2x4 sheet of half inch birch.
- single PCB for control 4x6 inch in size
- find good power supply for everything
- cuts for end stops and encoders
- larger Z platform for holding different tools, spindle, extruder, laser, router, dremel etc
- figure out good way to mount bushings and leadscrew nuts.
- possibly go to higher thread per inch lead screws
- work on X,Y,Z flexing. Look at 1/2" guide rod for increased rigidity.
- Add a controller port for connecting a game controller. This will control at machine axis movements, axis jog speed, spindle speed and direction.
- tweak 5d reprap firmware to control spindle and allow for tool changes
- write gcode for zeroing out cut area
- Create library for connecting to a game controller (eg. PS2,XBOX,SNES,NES)
- Keep in mind the possibility for future expansion of hardware.
- photo interrupt sensor for endstop avnet: $1.09