Pig Roast 2012
- Cooking the Pig
- Pit Cooking was much easier than Spit Cooking. The pig can be left unattended for longer periods of time.
- Need to open the Aluminum Foil not over the pit/fire. Can cause a grease fire: Video of the great Pig Grease Fire of 2010
- Reminder email should be sent out a day before the event - some folks forgot to bring pledged items
- Watch the weather - we soldiered the thunderstorm well, but thank goodness we started planning for it in advance and made sure we'd have a tent to protect the food. Imagine how awkward it would've been if we hadn't caught this.
- Remember the name tags - sometimes guests have a hard time finding members to answer questions. Name Tags could identify members easily. Also, suggesting members wear makers local shirts on the day of the event in a reminder email.
- Continue advertising with the Huntsville Young Professionals and NPR
- Candy Cannon should probably be fired outdoors only. ^_^
- Future events in this vein will have a different title, so as not to contradict or be confused with another event's intent.
- For previous events Rocket City Meats complained that we called too early and needed to call 2 weeks before the event. Then we did that and they dicked us by doubling the price and leaving us with no time to find a competing offer. It was five days after we started calling before Mr. Philips answered the phone. Lesson learned is to call 4 weeks in advance anyway and to find a competing offer.
- Omegix has a coworker named "Nick" that has 120lb pigs. We would have to pick up the pig and bring it to the butcher for kill / processing. We can find out a price closer to the next event.
- We need to suggest that children be watched by an adult at all times.
- Don't run out of bbg sauce.
- Need to wear protective hand coverings (latex gloves will do) when pulling the aluminum foil off the cooking frame
- Guestbook for prospective members to sign
- Find a way to count plates, maybe use stickers instead of marker for the hand. (we can count the number of used stickers)
Basic Event Information
- Name: Pig Roast
- Logistics: Omegix
- Date: Saturday, June 2nd, 2012
- Time: Event Starts at 12:00, food prep TBD
- Location: Make Shop
- Cost to Attend: $10 / person, or $15 for two people.
- Pig Roast Flier
- June 2 2012, 1:00pm - 5:00pm: Pig Roast 2012
Put a request out for recommendations on Huntsville's subreddit
Hometown Market Athens
Got a tip that Publix could order whole pigs, but they discontinued that service a year ago. Butcher recommended called "Hometown Market" in Athens. They said they could give a price, but only a week before we wanted the pig.
Rocket City Meats.
- 1st time: Half Headless 55-60lb Pig is $1.99 / lb (~$110)
- This size was too small, we ran out of pig early
- Last time: They don't do half pigs anymore. Head-on pig, 60lbs is going to run ~$150, $2.50 / lb
- 80lb pig ~$200
- This time: 80 lb pigs are $2.69/lb, or around $215.
Fudge Family Farms
- "The price will be $2.90/lb, pre-paid via check or credit card, and pickup in Madison."
- I asked them to beat Rocket City's Price, and they responded, "With all due respect, we humanely raise the finest pork in the nation, and are therefore unable to get into pricing wars with commodity meat outlets." ~Wayne Cisco
Volunteering to buy the pig
User:ramgarden aka Josh Pritt: I can pledge $20-$50 if needed.
- The Pit
- Pit design: http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2007/03/cooking-whole-hog-on-cinder-block-pit_19.html
- Preaux knows where to get cinder blocks
- Shop Cleanup - we'll need to make sure the place is clean for company
- Wood Chips
- Charcoal (6 bags) (size of bags?) -
- Cooking -
- Pig - Preaux (Duh)
- Your Name here!
- Pig - Preaux (Duh)
- plates, cups, knives, spoons, forks, bowls
- 10x10 tent donated by Katie Phillips (Located on South Wall in black textile case)
- Tim's Tent (tim can bring!)
- Drinks -
- Buns (basic hamburger buns) -
- Plates, cups, plastic ware
- Cups -
- Plates, plastic ware -
- Ice and cooler -
- Chips, Dip -
- A second main dish -
- Side dishes
- Deviled Eggs -
- Potato Salad -
- Quinoa -
- King Cake -
- Brownies, Apple Pie -
- A green salad (as in vegetables not food coloring) -
- Flier: Pig Roast Flier by David Reimer
- Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/377893042261576/
- Makers Local Web Page: https://256.makerslocal.org/2012/05/02/pig-roast-2012/
Not Yet Advertised To
- NPR Service Announcement
- Update email sent to general list (3 weeks out)
- Livejournal Huntsville Community