We need a place
We have a place! Makers Local 256 opened its first not-in-someone's-apartment place in April of 2008. An archive of the places we looked at and the things we brainstormed can be found at We need a place 2008. ) Our place is currently 1000sqft, and while it's worked so far, it's evident that a larger place would be ideal.
We need a place where we can go and work on these projects in an environment that stimulates creativity and motivation. The shop will provide a work area, resources, and knowledge to help people with their projects.
Need to Call
- This guy said his wife might have something: 256-489-4441 (Jeff to call)
- Looks like a nice shop. - Found on 1/1/09 - Map - 256-534-0037 (Jeff called)
- Place is for sale, 3 Lots 20,250 sq/ft Could call about. - Found on 1/1/09 Map - 256-509-6715
- Right on the side of Oakwood, wouldn't hurt to call 10,000 sq/ft - Found on 1/1/09 - Map - 256-759-2448
- Building looks like its being remodeled but again won't hurt to call. - Found on 1/1/09 - Map - 256-534-1694
- Old run down house - 109 Parkway Dr. - Found on 1/1/09 - Map - 256-650-0628
- Craigslist find - Map - 256-509-1910 or 256-776-3472
Waiting to Hear Back From
- David Hendriz with Weichert realty 656-1143
- Have talked to David and he is looking around for us now.
- Big warehouse type place, says it has space available. - Found on 1/1/09 - Map - 256-533-0990 (Jeff called)
- Guy said that most of the first floor space had been converted into 500 sqft office space
- He said that there was some unfinished space throughout the building, but that it had roof problems and was not air conditioned
- he mentioned that most warehouse space is expensive if it's air conditioned
- Guy said he might have some other stuff come up in the future and would call us if he found anything
- He also said that he'd call back with the rate for the unairconditioned space just in case we were interested
- the unairconditioned space was 7,500 sqft that the owner might be willing to chop up for us
- Would likely not be available until 6 months (around 7-12-09)
- I think Laura would likely give us a month to month extension for any place that was within a few months of our end of lease date
Already Contacted: Didn't work out
- Miller Properties (772-9851) Only leases space in Madison, had 5000sqft for $2k/mo
- Called Clisson Realty and left a message about the old Terry's Pizza location on Governor's Drive. (256) 536-2227 Omegix 15:02, 31 January 2009 (CST)
- Closest Clisson had was 2,800 sqft for $1300/mo
- Place on Jordan with Possible Collaborators Pics map
- Met with a few people 3/13 to discuss options
- Jordan Lane. Big Warehouse with ~10,000 sf of space. $2500/mo. is asking price.
- Blake and Jim were talking about signing a 5 year lease.
- What they want to use the building for:
- going towards a community center
- getting a few non profits together
- turning the space into some kind of co-op where one pays a membership fee and/or donates time to the space to further it.
- Ideas for others moving in were
- "Life Cycles" - an org that builds and repairs disgarded bikes and gives them to the underpriveleged.
- Dance Studio - probably a few yers off
- Noise of power tools disturbing others
- We are looking for space, not really to be part of another overall organization. This might take up time, which we are short on the way it is now.
- There is a tentative day organized to see the place on March 22 morning. Blake's gonna call the owner and talk about a few different options for getting the place. If none of those options are feasible, we won't go see the space at all.
- Flying Monkey Space. Pics
- The Monkey was asking $1000/mo for a place that is basically a storage facility with no water. I'm also guessing no internet/power hookups.
- Makers gave them a list of improvements we would need and asked them to come down on the price to fit our means.
- The father who owns the place is a fan of us. The son who's more the numbers guy is trying to see if our budget and interests will fit into theirs.
- Next to A1 on South Memorial (A1 is way down south memorial, past Martin rd.)
- Talked to the owner named Hugh, 755-1452
- 4,700 sqft for "around what we're paying now."
- Can only have for 1 year, and have to do month-to-month after that
- Basically he can't get anyone to rent there until the south memorial overpass is completed
- No structural improvements
- Need to touch base on friday 1-16-09 to arrange a meeting the next day (Saturday)
- JimShoe found a place near the intersection of governors and triana. Jeff called them at 256-539-1985 and was told that a Mr. Perry Hudson would call him back.
- Guy said we could see it during normal working hours, or call him on saturday after 12:30 to see the location.
- it's next to American Insurance, which his son runs
- Rent would be $650 a month for 2 year lease
- $700/mo for 1 year lease
- $500 security deposity and 1 month rent up front.
- has a kitchen
- ~1600 sqft
- Perry Hudson's number is 334-324-2130
- Perry said that if we put down a $500 non refundable deposit we could move in prior to occupying the place. This would keep us from renting two places at once.
- Perry is waiting to hear back from us, the place is ours if we want it.