Bowser – 2016 July

Just a quick update on new stuff.  Juggling projects as always, and progress posts on those are pending, but I figured I’d post another one of my personal pet project which is slow-going.  I have not been keeping tabs on the amount of hours invested into this, but it’s going smooth so far, even with the recent lack of laser-cutter.  I can simply print the pepakura files, trace them onto foam like in the past, and this time, use a bandsaw to cut, rather than a hot knife.  Anyway, on to photos.

The "rim" of the giant shell helps the whole thing keep its' shape, and will soon have a thin, curved pvc pipe frame inside, to attach it to the ALICE backpack frame.
The “rim” of the giant shell helps the whole thing keep its’ shape, and will soon have a thin, curved pvc pipe frame inside, to attach it to the ALICE backpack frame.
Rear view of the shell. The exterior will be covered in spray adhesive, then fiberglass mat, then a few coats of resin, sanded and carved, to simulate the carapace of an ancient, battle-hardened tyrant.
Rear view of the shell. The exterior will be covered in spray adhesive, then fiberglass mat, then a few coats of resin, sanded and carved, to simulate the carapace of an ancient, battle-hardened tyrant.
This here is the result of real teamwork. I was walking upstairs and spied a bowl on the shelf. It fit the openings in the giant shell almost perfectly, and had the proper shape for the base of any of Bowser's massive shell-spikes. Affix a posterboard cone, ModPodge it, and soon to be assisted in silicone moulding and casting this ten times by Mr. Daniel Valdez.
This here is the result of real teamwork. I was walking upstairs and spied a bowl on the shelf. It belonged to Phil, and he okayed it for use.  It fit the openings in the giant shell almost perfectly, and had the proper shape for the base of any of Bowser’s massive shell-spikes. I fashioned and affixed a posterboard cone, ModPodged it, and am soon to be assisted in silicone moulding and casting this ten times over, by Mr. Daniel Valdez.
With assistance from Dominic holding the shell, I test-fitted the body, still with incomplete tail and legs/feet. Since this is constructed using the 3d model directly from the WiiU video games, this is looking VERY on-model, and I'm very pleased.
With assistance from Dominic holding the shell, I test-fitted the body, still with incomplete tail and legs/feet. Since this is constructed using the 3d model directly from the WiiU video games, this is looking VERY on-model, and I’m very pleased.

Internal structure for the body will be needed, to keep the shape.  I’d initially thought foam pillars, but plastic “ribs” would be better, in the torso, arms and leg area.  I’ll be talking with CJ about 1-foot-tall stilt platforms soon.  More to come, thanks for reading!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *