The foam cube wirelessly commands a set of effects when it’s rotated. We used Synapse Wireless’ SNAP Modules, a MPU-6050, an Arduino UNO, and WS2812B LEDs for this project. Check out the code here.
For the past couple of months I’ve been playing around with a personal project to write images to our shop’s vinyl cutter. Recently Travis discovered that if a very large image is sent to the cutter all at once, it will cause a serial buffer overflow and crash the knife.
The natural reaction is to enable flow control (page 15) on the serial device, such that the vinyl cutter can step back from the brink if the buffer fills up. But that doesn’t seem to work for whatever reason — I suspect that my shoddy USB to serial adapter doesn’t support it.
So I made a feature that will take the movement speed of the vinyl cutter, estimate the duration of each line segment’s execution, and then send the serial as smaller chunks in intervals. This does work, but we noticed that the time calculated doesn’t match up with the time it actually takes the vinyl cutter to route a shape. Sometimes it’s off target by up to half a minute… What’s up with that?
Just a quick update on new stuff. Juggling projects as always, and progress posts on those are pending, but I figured I’d post another one of my personal pet project which is slow-going. I have not been keeping tabs on the amount of hours invested into this, but it’s going smooth so far, even with the recent lack of laser-cutter. I can simply print the pepakura files, trace them onto foam like in the past, and this time, use a bandsaw to cut, rather than a hot knife. Anyway, on to photos.
Internal structure for the body will be needed, to keep the shape. I’d initially thought foam pillars, but plastic “ribs” would be better, in the torso, arms and leg area. I’ll be talking with CJ about 1-foot-tall stilt platforms soon. More to come, thanks for reading!
After over a month of near daily work on the shop’s hallway bathroom, it’s finally done! The room is re-opened and this time (hopefully) leak free.
Making this project happen took a lot of help from the membership. I’d like to offer a huge thank-you to:
– Travis, who dedicated an incredible amount of time and effort to almost every aspect of this job.
– Michelle and Jeff, who donated the new light fixture.
– Daniel, who helped us out of several jams along the way.
– Hunter, who tackled rewiring the mess of a circuit behind the walls.
– Norm, who donated the new countertop and helped us brainstorm.
– Wes, who lent us tools and advice for the drywall work.
– And several other members who stopped by to lend a hand.
Rather than try to create a massive listing of everything we did, you can peruse an image album of the highlights.
Is this thing on? Oh, good, at last!
For my first post, I’ll just share a little bit about all the stuff I’ve been working on, 90% of which is for costume commissioners. A few weeks ago, I finished up a pair of Megaman boots, made from EVA Foam, and these will be getting shipped out soon. Currently in the works are two more Ghostbusters Proton Packs (the 2009 Video Game variety, with all the enormous physical add-ons), which puts me at 10 pack builds under my belt. Then an “Extreme” proton pack from the “Extreme Ghostbusters” cartoon, and a GB2 Slime Blower. There is a full Batman Arkham Origins suit (sans cowl) underway as well. Next up is a wearable EVA foam Edward Elric arm from the Japanese animated “Full Metal Alchemist” franchise, and a Fallout 4 Pipboy.
On the side of all this, for myself, as some of you may have seen, I’ve been working on what will hopefully be my first fully-enclosed suit cosplay, Bowser.
The head’s gonna have animatronic eyes with cameras in each sphere, connected to two small screens fitted inside a Google Cardboard headset, for stereoscopic vision. There’ll also be some combination of e-cig vape mechanism and fog machine for smoke breath. Feel free to ask questions if you’ve got ’em. Much more to come!