4x8 CNC Machine
This cnc has been replaced by the ACCTECH 4'x8' CNC
This is the project page of a CNC capable of milling 4' x 8' plywood sheets. I bought a 52" x 104" (area) Plasma cutting table from eagleplasma.
- increase cut stability with a more rigid gantry that maintains at least 3 and preferably 4 points of contact on the X and Y rails. Currently the X rail only has 2 points of contact and so z plunge rate is adversely effected.
CNC Control Software
I'm using Mach3 to feed GCode to the controller, it seems to work well. Future experiments in the pipeline include upgrading the computer and experimenting with CNCLinux. CAM Software has been a problem for us recently:
- LazyCam(we have a license) - does ok for most dxf features but can't handle curves. has good tool diameter compensation.
- InkScape(open) - has a plugin to export GCode, I haven't had much luck configuring the tool diameter preferences.
- PyCam (open) - I haven't had much luck configuring the tool diameter preferences.
- CamBam (free version) - Tyler's been experimenting with it, the experiments look promising.
- MakerCam - Tyler and Raymond have had reasonable success using this tool.
- 10or11 May 12: Ordered CNC Kit from eagleplasma.com
- 16 May 12: Kit arrived in 3 boxes (145#, 145#, 95#) - I like to call them Huey, Duey, and Louie
- 17 May 12: Uncrated the contents. (see below for pictures)
- 18 May 12: ASSEMBLY
- 28 May 12: Built Spindle Mount
- 30 May 12: Calibration
- 13 Jun 12: First cut: X-Axis had trouble with belt jamming; upped the Amperage to 100%-->20%; Need to play around with one of the pulleys to see if i can keep it from pinching the belt. Opinion: This would not be a problem if I were plasma cutting. The router is adding resistance that the stepper is having trouble adapting to. Worst case scenario: I replace the current NEMA23 stepper with a spare NEMA34 that was used in the old cnc..
- 27 Dec 12: After a couple of months of not really understanding what was going on, I decided to replace the belts with #25 chain. The Blackfoot CNC uses this system for their systems. It seems to have solved the problems for the x.
- Middle of Jan 13: Replaced Y axis belt with chain. Hardware seems to be good.
- 13 Apr 13: Replaced cog on the X axis motor due to the tightening screw hole being stripped out resulting in slippage. Everything working beautifully again.
Links to Cuttable Pattern Resources
- Shelter 2.0
- Open Design Furniture
- More Open Design Furniture
- Necessary Thingiverse link
- mashup for routers
- Neat CNC chair
- Necessary link to cnczone
- single sheet canoe
- single sheet stairs
- single sheet canoe
- AtFab (sexy furniture)
- Via onesheetofplywood
- single sheet chair
- single sheet DIY book scanner from diybookscanner.org
- 3 and 5 legged glueless stools
- CNCable seats
Links to CNC Machine Resources
- A small company building hobby plasma cncs
- flexible manufacturing system
- Build Your CNC (a distant relative of the 2x4 CNC Machine) *closed source
- Mechmate *closed source
- neo7 cnc
- 80/20 Ebay store
More to follow once I've resized them.
Bill of Materials
This may be put on hold...
|3/8" V Groove Guide Bearing||16||$165||vxb.com|