This is where we can hang info on the Pottery Kiln.
About the Kiln: The Makers Local 256 kiln is an Evenheat model 4320.
- It is capable of firing to 2300F or Cone 8.
- It uses a KilnSitter kiln controller that has a bad timer and 4 zones controllable via light switches.
- It uses a 220v, 24A breaker.
Directions / Suggestions
So you wanna make a ceramic thing...
Congratulations! Admitting it is the first step!
Clay (getting it)
- Currently we are sourcing clay from Hobby Lobby.
Throwing (using the potters wheel)
- The people who donated the kiln also donated a motorized potters wheel.
- We also have an orange 5gal bucket dedicated to slip. Please dump your slip water in it.
Drying / Candling
- Currently, we've had success letting the clay Dry in the kitchen closet for 2+ weeks, and then Candling for 12+ Hours at ~190F (~88C).
- I' am currently planning an exhaust system for the kiln so that fumes can be drawn outside should anyone decide to glaze.