This is my notes and brief instructions for running Debian on your dockstar. Most steps are taking from Jeff Doozan's webpage.
Rooting the device
For mine device, bought in August 2010, I was able to ssh into the device with the following:
username: root password: stxadmin
Your mileage may vary.
If you want to use ext3 instead of ext2, which I did, you have to do two more steps.
- After downloading dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh:
- Search for ext2 in a section where it writes a new fstab and replace it with ext3
- Search for mke2fs and add -J to make a proper ext3 filesystem
- After dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh runs, DO NOT REBOOT IT when prompted
- Run the following to tell uboot to use ext3 to mount the rootfs, then reboot
Building a Debian usb drive
From any sane computer, partition and format a usb drive with the first partition being ext2, and the second being swap. Then run the following install script from inside your dockstar as root, with the usb drive in:
cd /tmp wget http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh chmod +x dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin ./dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh