From Makers Local 256
- The Hackerspace Call-in was on Sunday, Mar 7th at 3:00PM. They are held the first Sunday of each month.
- Each hackerspace update was limited to 5 minutes. Our update included our participation in the HSIS, the Pig Roast as our fund raiser, the IRC !Alert System, and our current membership count (I estimated at 38 people)
- Many of the hackerspaces listed the HSIS competition in their list of current events
- Baltimore Node hackerspace is creating a user access system based off Makers Local 256' servo implementation. They're using RFID as the access token. Their challenge is with torque, as they are having to turn a key in a lock rather than a latch on a deadbolt.
- I3 Detroit has an 8,000 sqft hackerspace
- Upcoming multi-hackerspace Events
- Makerfair in Detroit
- Pumping Station One is hosting the Hackathalon, a Hackerspace vs. Hackerspace event where competitors build and race PowerWheels vehicles. July 31st - August 1st.
- There will be a Hackerspace Village at the next Hope con in NY.
- Baltimore Node wants to put on a MiniMaker Fair in trhe psring
- Neat Projects\Ideas Mentioned
- HacDC has a user presence system, where once people have accessed the hackerspace, they can elect to press a button, have a camera take a picture, and twitter the picture.
- VHS had a full spread article written about them in their local college's news paper
- The other 501c3 hackerspaces on the call-in mentioned that they do membership fees, but that the members can't write them off on their taxes.
- VHS charges two different membership rates based on key or no-key access
- Generated some categories for Hackerspace Awards