I don't feel like tearing apart an other DVD drive.
I have been playing around recently with the idea of creating a handheld laser that can actually do damage. Ex. popping balloons, igniting things, etc. basic schematics for wiring. In fact, the majority of this project was derived from the linked-to website. What remain to be purchased are the project box and switch and possibly a diode to help regulate power.
- needed: new laser diode
- a laser diode housing
- a threaded collimating lens
- the associated heatsink for the diode
- the 10-15mW laser diode that came with the assembly
- a battery housing for the completed construction
- 02/13/07: I seem to have burnt out both the diodes that were in the drive, but I now know how to get them out quickly so that I don't damage the diode with excess heat.
- 07/27/09: Here is a source of slightly more fun laser diodes: http://www.virtualvillage.com/ps3-replacement-blue-ray-laser-lens-kem-410/sku007301-008