Meetings/2010-12

From Makers Local 256
Jump to: navigation, search

Date/Location

  • December 13, 2010
  • 7:30pm
  • Shop
  • All members

Agenda

Topic Presenter
Review of Action Items Chairman
Treasurer's Report Treasurer
Facilities Committee Report Facilities Committee
Project/Event Updates Chairman
Decide next meeting date Chairman
New Member Recognition Secretary
Change Door Code if loss of member Secretary


Action Items

Treasurer's Report

  • Term: November 2010
    • Donations: $1431
    • Members: $1044.8 (29)
    • Expenses: $1270.97
    • Net Profit: $1204.83
    • Average Donation per person: $36.03
    • Average Expense per person: $43.83
  • Term: December 2010
    • Donations: $100.8
    • Members: $685.35 (19)
    • Expenses: $1070.51
    • Net Profit: $-284.36
    • Average Donation per person: $36.07
    • Average Expense per person: $56.34

Facilities Committee

  • Cleanup Day Call - Currently proposing January 8, 2011. Is this okay for people who have projects on the floor right now? Who plans to have something sitting on the floor that day?
  • Heater Issue - Currently having an issue with the heater failing to turn on; suspected causes right now are heater failing to ignite and thermostat not triggering. If you notice it not turning on and it's getting abnormally cold in the shop, let Spacefelix know what's going on; state if the heater is trying to ignite, but fails (you'll notice the glow plug turning on and the gas valve whooshing open, you'll smell the gas, but no flame occurring), or if it is just sitting there with nothing running. Otherwise, current quick fix is to crank the thermostat up to its highest temperature until it turns on the heater then turn it back to 68 degF. We will look into either getting the heater repaired or replacing the thermostat depending on what the symptoms point to.
  • Insulation Work Party - Thanks to CrashCartPro for helping this Saturday with putting up insulation, we got the majority of the ceiling tiles in place. Looking to hold another work party next weekend, December 18, 2010, 12:00pm - 6:00pm. Need all the help we can get to meet the 12/18 deadline for basic weatherization. Looking to complete the insulation for the ceiling, the windows in the main room and kitchen, upgrade and seal the garage-main room door tarp and build insulated door plugs for the backroom-main room door.

New Members

  • Ray Nordin
  • Drake Daggett

Discussion

  • Makers Local 256 Participation in International Space Development Conference (ISDC) 2011 - This conference running from May 18-22, 2011 in Huntsville, is for astronauts, scientists, entrepreneurs, government officials, activists and citizens of this planet who look forward to the opening of the "final frontier" to discover the future of space exploration. Yohan Lo, the local HAL5 president and ISDC organizer, is looking to give Makers Local 256 a table to present the hackerspace and what we do. In exchange, we can have a reduced price by volunteering services. This would be an excellent opportunity for Makers Local 256 to reach out and represent the hacker/maker community. Have been working on cutting out this deal with HAL5, who are organizing the conference. Looking for event volunteers to support ISDC, run the table and projects to present. If you are interested, check out and contribute to the conference wikipage!

Attending

  • Nathan Warner
  • Hanyan
  • Tim Heath
  • Greg Brown
  • Justin
  • Alice Scanland
  • Shae
  • Dmitri Plaks
  • Jeff Cotten
  • Ethan
  • Kinsey Moore

Meeting Minutes

There are currently no action items worth noting.

The Treasurer's Doom report was given by Jeff.


The facility report was given by Ethan.

A cleanup day is scheduled on Jan 8, 2011.

The tables need to be cleared by members before this date.

Let Ethan know if you notice the heater malfunctioning and it's method of malfunction.

Please leave the heater at 68F for the time being.

The holes in the drop ceiling are mostly filled, thanks to Ethan and Tim.

The back storage room will be blocked with a foam plug to prevent heat loss.


Announcement of new members Raymond Nordin and Drake Dagget.


Discussion: International Space Development Conference

There will be many talks about space and space-related things.

ISDC would like us to come out and present maker-related things and provide volunteers. They want this in a contract.

We need to refine our media materials for this event.

Event occurs May 18th-22nd.

Volunteers are allowed free admission to the conference. This needs to be clarified because there is conflicting information.

This event would be worked in conjunction with HAL5. Please see the ISDC Conference 2011 wiki page to volunteer.


Dmitri is planning an antenna design class and will be providing further information in the near future.


Makers Local 256 has been doing a podcast for the past few weeks on Wednesdays. You can find it on the Hackerspaces Digest page.


The next meeting will be on January 17th.