Meetings/2011-02

From Makers Local 256
Jump to: navigation, search

Date/Location

  • February 14, 2011
  • 7:30pm
  • Shop
  • All members

Agenda

Topic Presenter
Review of Action Items Chairman
Treasurer's Report Treasurer
Facilities Committee Report Facilities Committee
Project/Event Updates Chairman
Decide next meeting date Chairman
New Member Recognition Secretary
Change Door Code if loss of member Secretary
Tech Expo and Pig Roast Brian


Action Items

Treasurer's Report

Graphs from May 2010 to Jan 2011
  • Term: December 2010
    • Donations: $525.8
    • Members: $1184.28 (32)
    • Expenses: $1531.57
    • Net Profit: $178.51
    • Average donation per person: $37.01
    • Average expense per person: $47.86
  • Term: January 2011
    • Donations: $444.37
    • Members: $1028.82 (27)
    • Expenses: $1456.91
    • Net Profit: $16.28
    • Average donation per person: $38.10
    • Average expense per person: $53.96
  • Term: February 2011
    • Donations: $28
    • Members: $516.45 (18)
    • Expenses: $1000
    • Net Profit: $-455.55
    • Average donation per person: $28.69
    • Average estimated expense per person: $70.61
  • We currently have about $285 more in expenses than membership donations. At this rate, we can last for about 12 months before the bank is empty.
  • Also, if we have a $600 fundraiser like the pig roasts, that should help offset about 2 months.

Facilities Committee

  • Changes To Shop
    • Equipment/Back Room - Installed insulated door panels. Open by pushing door panels inwards and moving them to the side.
    • Waste Oil Bin - Added a waste oil bin (gray bucket) in the garage next to the toxic waste trash can. Use it to dispose of waste oils and petrochemicals. It will be emptied each month at the Huntsville Landfill's Hazardous Household Waste Collection Program.
    • Shop Exit Checklist - Added the shop exit checklist to the door of the shop. Please follow it when you leave.
  • Future Work For Shop
    • Access
      • Equipment/Back Room Doors - To ease access, the doors will be rigged with a riser system of ropes, pulleys and counterweights to lift the door out of the way. This rigging is expected to be done on 4/2/2011.
    • Insulation
      • Main Room - Will seal the hole above the heating duct. Looking to get it done by 2/19.
      • Kitchen - Windows will be sealed and insulated by 2/19.
      • Garage Door Tarp - Will be improved by 4/2/2011.
    • Heating & Cooling
      • Air Conditioners - Will refurbish, recharge, test and install four A/Cs. Looking to have this done by 5/11. Need to cool the Main Room, Kitchen and Loft Lounge; an area that is 30'x50' and with a 12' ceiling. Assuming 24 BTUs/hr/sqft if cooling, need a total of 36,000 BTUs/hr (cost of continuous operation, assuming 0.5 cents/BTU/month; $180/mo). The following setup gives a total of 49,000 BTUs/hr (cost of continuous operation at $245/mo):
        • Large Window Unit in Main Room Window - 18,000 BTUs/hr, 220V. Will need a 220V line run to it.
        • Medium Window Unit in Main Room Window - 12,000 BTUs/hr, 110V. Will go above the large A/C window unit. Other window panel is a fire escape/vent window and must remain clear.
        • Medium Window Unit in Kitchen Window - 10,000 BTUs/hr, 110V.
        • Floor unit by HVAC - 9,000 BTUs/hr, 110V. This unit may be unnecessary in the Main Room. Without it, the above three provide 40,000 BTUs/hr. The floor unit could be used in the Library Loft or the Equipment/Back Room assuming that they are properly sealed, insulated and have workstations.
      • Procedure
        • Run 220V line to A/C window.
        • Reinforce and construct A/C window plate to accommodate two A/C units and R-12 insulation and sealing.
        • Refurbish, recharge, test and install four A/Cs as above. Recharge at A/C service at Sears, Home Depot or other A/C service store.
    • Cleanup & Buildup
      • Cleanup for the 3/5 Tech Expo
        • Cleanup Day on 2/19 at 12pm
          • Clear The Garage Floor
            • Sort the items on the floor back into storage. Return the shelf on the garage floor back to the main storeroom.
            • Sort out what needs to be thrown out as necessary.
        • Prep Day on 3/4 after 4200 Meeting
          • Clear the tables
          • Prepare the main room
          • Sweep the shop
      • Next Major Cleanup Day - Will occur after next convention.
        • Equipment/Back Room
          • Clear out and organize the room, sort out who owns what and what stays and what goes.
          • Prepare it to accommodate equipment and prepare equipment to roll in and out where possible. Stationary equipment will need lighting and workspaces.
          • Prepare a storage/shelving solution to make use of the vertical space in the room. We will need the additional storage space as the Main Storeroom and Main Room Shelves and Table Shelves are filling to capacity.

New Members

  • Tony Tran
  • Joshua Carr

Discussion

Attending

Members

  • Hanyan
  • Wayne
  • Matt Robinson
  • Kinsey
  • Tony
  • Tim
  • Ethan
  • Dusty
  • Brian
  • Ray
  • Phil
  • Tuttle
  • Dmitri
  • Justin
  • Alice

Guests

  • Nick
  • Andrew

Meeting Minutes

  • Meeting called to order at 7:30 by the Chairman
  • Treasurer's Report
    • Charts are available on the wiki for more detail
    • Fundraising Efforts/Financial Status
      • Brimstone reports; currently rely on random donations to be sustainable. Membership pledges alone do not meet expenses. At current finances, if we only had membership pledges, we would have enough financial reserve to last about 12 months. He calculates that at current membership pledge levels, we will need a $600 income event like a Pig Roast every two months to be sustainable. Brian stated that maximum rate of such events would be every quarter. Greg added that he can hold LAN Parties to fill in the gaps. Tim stated to continue the drive to get more members to be sustainable. Ethan stated grants can be an option to supplement income; current yearly goal is $1,200 total for 2011. Looking to start application process in 9/11.
    • Pig Roast coming up
    • Ideally we'd get more members for more sustainable donations.
  • Facilities Committee
    • New door to back storage room, just grab the handles, push in and drag sideways behind the wall.
    • Further improvements include:
      • Adding strategic insulation on holes in main room and rigging the door to rise out of the way.
      • Insulation around the kitchen windows.
      • Next insulation task to improve the hanging tarp between the tool storage and the main work room.
    • Waste oil bin set up by toxic waste bin. Use to dispose of waste oil and petrochemicals.
    • Exit Checklist on the door, if you're the last person to leave please make sure everything's done.
    • Clean Up Day this Saturday to get ready for Tech Expo.
    • Future cleanup plans for net cleanup day - Will clean out the back storage room.
    • Summer Preparations - Will refurbish, test and install four A/Cs. Floor unit by HVAC, 220V and 110V unit on main room window, and a small 110V window unit from MsEli in the kitchen. Looking to have this done by 5/11.

New Members – Tony and Josh

  • Upcoming Events – DIY Tech Expo & Pig Roast, please see Brian after the meeting if you'd like to help, there's a wiki page also.
  • Next meeting is Monday night, March 14th 2011
  • We said hi to guests who came to the meeting.

Greg is going to run a LAN Party on Saturday April 30th

    • there is a wiki page, there will be an email about it soon
  • Ethan's last note, we're going to recycle the metal scrap pile soon. Please inform him as to which pieces of metal to keep.
  • Meeting adjourned at 7:50