OpenID is a reasonably new authentication method that puts the user in control of their own identity but turning their blog or site into their identity. When you think about it your site/blog is a representation of what you are online already, why not take that concept a bit further by using it to let you login everywhere else.
- Setup OpenID on your own site identify you. [Done]
- Convince others to do the same.
- Setup your site to accept OpenID login from other users.
- Convince others to do the same
- Infrastructure that lets me login everywhere using my site as my identity.
- 06:28/2007: Verisign Seatbelt, an extension for Firefox that monitors for when your logging in via OpenID and runs a series of checks and balances to ensure that you're not doing it insecurely or being phished.
- AOL's 63 million users(includes AIM users) all have OpenIDs now.