From Makers Local 256
This page lists a detailed description of the Makers Local 256 activities and what percentage of time is allocated for each activitiy.
- What: Education Exchange
- Percentage of Time Spent: 25%
- Who: All members, particularly those who have joined an organizational project or team.
- When: One-on-One mentoring takes place daily. Group mentoring typically happens on specific days of the week dedicated to a project that will utilize, and give opportunity to improve, the skills and abilities of those working on the project.
- Where: Mentoring and idea exchange takes place at the facility rented or owned by the organization. As of August 2011, this facility is located at 414 Stevens Ave, Huntsville, AL, 35801. If no facility were available, mentoring would take place at a member's residence, or public facility.
- How: Members collaborate and inform the group what skills, abilities, or deficiencies in education they desire to improve. If another member of the group has experience with the requested improvement, he start a mentor relationship with the person to help educate the interested party. Those mentoring may also, and are likely to have, a mentor of their own, who shares, educates, and works with them to improve skills they are interested in.
- What: Community Presentations
- Percentage of time Spent 20%
- Who: Volunteer Members
- When: Typically twice a month
- Where: Presentations are given at the organization's facility, public meetings of local computer enthusiasts, and technology themed conventions when possible.
- How: Presentation dates are publicized to the local community and held at the organization's facility. These presentations are typically hands on, allowing the audience to interact with the target of their educational interest. Presentations at meetings and conventions are done both hands on and with powerpoint (slide) presentations. Topics are always educational, and focus on education the audience on how the topic of the presentation works. Typically presentations end with an invitation to collaborate and join educational projects with the members of the Makers Local.
- What: Idea Exchange and Educational Projects
- Percentage of time Spent: 50%
- Who: All Members
- When: Weekly
- Where: Makers Local 256 facility
- How: Several projects are usually underway, each project having at least two members. Project members will gather on specified days to collaborate and exchange new ideas and approaches to bring a fresh set of eyes an alternative methods to solving both simple and complex problems. Example projects in the past have included hydroponics, robotics, motion control, computer recognition systems, and user interfaces. Each program is designed to present a challenge to the members working on it, and to expand the education of every contributor.
- What: Independent Study
- Percentage of time Spent: 5%
- Who: All Members
- When: Weekly
- Where: Makers Local 256 Facility
- How: Members may use the facility as a place to organize private projects and educational endeavors. The organization and its members spend 5% of it's time organizing and planning to meet the needs of its members to provide the atmosphere and shared resources necessary to engage in Independent Studies. As collaborative education is more in line with the goals of the organization, Independent Studies take up the least amount of the organization's time.