I'm not sure who first came up with the premise for an overnet, but it's been an idea that has been batted around by this group for many years now from back when most of them lived in the dorms. This is my proposal for an overnet, which could have many possibilities.
gumstix + wifi module + pass-through light socket power adapter
- Gumstix runs on 4V or 5V depending on the model which could easily be run off the light socket.
- minimal noticable power drain.
- completely out of view from unsuspecting passerbys.
- 24x7 power in most cases.
- Mesh them together.
- Configure ones closest to stable net connections to operate as gateways.
- Simple shortest path routing between them.
- Quick and easy mesh wifi network.
- or bluetooth
- Possible clustering.
- What happens when someone goes to change a lightbulb?
- How would they handle power outages?
- What about heat?