The principle of operation is similar to that of a potato gun. You force a lot of pressure into a small area and hope only the projectile goes flying. In this case, the projectile is a hockey puck. The puck will be launched horizontally with spin stabilization effected by roughing up one side of the launch tube and leaving the other smooth.
There are a few different options here.
- Use hairspray like a conventional potato gun
- I'd rather not go this direction as a fireball might melt some rubber and get the gun all gooey
- Use an air compressor
- These tend to be a little on the bulky side
- Use a disposable CO2 cartrige
- Whether this has enough pressure has yet to be seen
- Use a reusable paintball compressed air tank (I like this one)
- Infinitely reusable and not that big. Could possibly hold several shots worth in a single tank.
- Options of what to use for compressed gas (nitrogen, air, CO2)
- The connector used for these has an adapter for the disposable CO2 cartriges if they prove to be enough.