A treadle (foot pedal from an old sewing machine) powered computer. Got the idea from The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. The idea of a user powered computer seems like a great way to stay on task when one sits down to use it. You'll sit down and type up that e-mail instead of watching youtube videos for a half hour.
- low power computer
- low power display
- small battery or capacitor bank
- circuit to detect the absence of voltage in and send a signal to the computer to hibernate to disk.
- serial connection to computer
- configure wheel as a generator
- configure wheel to drive a motor with a belt
- I'll be obtaining a donated Singer treadle powered sewing machine on 08/16/2013. Researched low power displays and came up with three possible solutions: pixel qi 10" ($299), mimo 710s 7" displaylink display ($140), or pico projector (~$200 and would require shading on the desk) --strages (talk) 10:17, 13 August 2013 (CDT)