From Makers Local 256
New Member Shop Walkthrough
Point out locations of/give note to:
- Rooms and what they are used for and associated hazards.
- Hazard and Safety Placards and Procedures
- Location and Types of Safety Gear and their usage.
- Location of Material Safety Data Sheets & Manuals for Equipment
- Safety Alarms (have them press test buttons so they know what each alarm sounds like):
- One Smoke Detector in Kitchen.
- One Carbon Monoxide on top of Fridge.
- First Aid Kit
- One in Kitchen.
- Phone Locations, and !alert functionality.
- Advise new members to keep a cell phone on them as a backup in case they must call for an emergency.
- Let them know about the IRC !alert function.
- Fire Escapes and Exit operation
- Fire Extinguishers, have them confirm they know how to operate and check condition (full/empty):
- Two in Garage Area; on near No-Store Zone and one by entrance to office area.
- One in Loft above Garage Area by dirty sink.
- One in Kitchen by stove.
- One in Office Lounge on top of Server Rack.
- Shop Exit Checklist
- Check before leaving if you are last. Or if you are leaving someone as the last, tag them.
- Recycling (Regular, Special & Scrap Metals) and Garbage and what is accepted.
- Cleaning gear.
- Show new members how to operate:
- Front Door
- Garage Doors
- Light Switches indoor and outdoor.
- Storage, Equipment & Tool Locations
- Show the no-store zone.
- State where transient projects are being stationed and what is going on with them.
- State what equipment is free use and what equipment requires that you speak to the owner before use due to hazards or special training required.
- Whiteboard and Space Usage Etiquette.
- Photograph the white board if you want to keep it, do not let your writings stay out more than a week. Others need to use it too.
- Clean up after yourself. If you must leave something out, please label it thusly.
- Kitchen and food rules.