Network/Procedures/Create a Makers Local VM host
From Makers Local 256
- Create this disk layout.
Number Start End Size Type File system Flags 1 1049kB 48.0GB 48.0GB primary ext4 boot 2 48.0GB 50.0GB 2000MB primary linux-swap(v1) 3 50.0GB (rest of disk) primary lvm
- Make a new volume group called vm4_storage and include partition 3 as the first PV.
- Run this on an existing VM host to get a list of packages to copy to the new host.
dpkg --get-selections > vmhost.dpkg-selections
- After copying that file to the new host, do this on the new host to install those packages.
sudo apt-get install dselect sudo dselect update grep -v deinstall vmhost.dpkg-selections | sudo dpkg --set-selections sudo apt-get -y update sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
- Make xen boot instead of linux.
dpkg-divert --divert /etc/grub.d/08_linux_xen --rename /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen update-grub
- Create /etc/network/interfaces like this. Be sure to change the vlan 200 IP to a unique one. I'm using 10.56.0.40 for vm4 for example. Usually it's host number times 10.
auto lo iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0.100 eth0.200 eth0.300 eth0.400
auto br.100 br.200 br.300 br.400 iface eth0.100 inet manual vlan_raw_device eth0 iface eth0.200 inet manual vlan_raw_device eth0 iface eth0.300 inet manual vlan_raw_device eth0 iface eth0.400 inet manual vlan_raw_device eth0
iface br.100 inet manual bridge_ports eth0.100 bridge_maxwait 0 iface br.200 inet static bridge_ports eth0.200 bridge_maxwait 0 address 10.56.0.40 netmask 255.255.255.0 network 10.56.0.255 gateway 10.56.0.1 iface br.300 inet manual bridge_ports eth0.300 bridge_maxwait 0 iface br.400 inet manual bridge_ports eth0.400 bridge_maxwait 0
- While running "service networking restart", configure the host's switch port like this.
interface FastEthernet0/12 description vm4 switchport access vlan 200 switchport mode trunk spanning-tree portfast end
- Set up your drbd volumes in /etc/drbd.d to mirror to whatever other VM host. Then reload drbd and kick off your syncs. First you will want to copy root's .ssh directory from the first box so that you can use ssh keys to log in between root users on different boxes. Then you can use scp as root:
scp vm2:/etc/drbd.d/* /etc/drbd.d/ #modify the files here if changing to different host... service drbd restart
- While that's moving, copy your Xen configs from another VM host.
scp vm2:/etc/xen/*.cfg /etc/xen/
- Edit /etc/default/xendomains and set XENDOMAINS_RESTORE=false and XENDOMAINS_SAVE= (empty string).
That's probably not exactly right but it's something like that. Good luck.