Make Shop/Open House
A page dedicated to the planning, execution, and documention of open houses at the shop.
Future Open House Options
- Potential DIY themed presentations for the Open House. Omegix is looking into it now, but it will unlikely come together in time.
What are we going to do. Yard Sale?? Anyone have any suggestions?
Our first open house so it won't be perfect but it'll be something.
- Brainstorming from as many members as possible so that we know what we can do and get people working on those things.
- dead button cell batteries for joule thieves
- lots of cornstarch for oobleck
- clear plastic pieces
- cardboard boxes of varying sizes
- webcams, don't have to be great quality or anything.
- Information Pamphlet
- either bifold or trifold depending on the info we have to fill it
- Multitouch screen
- joule thieves
- we have 19 toroids with more that can be salvaged from junk hardware.
- plenty of copper wire
- plenty of LEDs, more if Venkat will ever show up again.
- magic sand
- Consists of a cardboard box, webcam, piece of plastic, and tracing paper. Totally doable.
- Augmented reality
Our third open house - most publicized by far, with a PSA on NPR courtesy of Chris Dayton and his Media Initiative, and a facebook event.
The focus for this one will be SWAP MEET. It has been advertised as lasting from 12pm-4pm, but we'll probably cook out afterwards like the last open house.
- Cleanup day
- Touchup Friday before
- Get food for after-cookout
- More tables would be appreciated
- Strages has one to bring
- We have 2 sawhorses and 2 pieces of plywood - Bob has two sawhorses to round it out for two tables' worth.
Our 4th open house - being publicized by a PSA on WLRH courtesy of Chris Dayton and his Media Initiative, an article in the tech issue of The Valley Planet, and a facebook event. NOTE: PSA was postponed, only advertised in the Valley Planet article
Project presentation with a secondary focus of another swap meet limited to space on tables in the backyard. This will bring people in and have them see our projects while they make their way to the swap meet in the back. This should also free up "hangout" space inside for project discussion, etc. Anything left after the swap meet will be gone through for use at the shop and the rest will be taken to tech recyclers.
- List of projects to be done by then:(add them as bullets below)
- We need a tent and some extra fold up tables to use for the day in the backyard.
- Shop cleanup.
Our 5th Open House.
- Time: 12PM - 4PM
We will again have a Swap Meet and present completed and nearly-completed projects.
- 3-D Scanning
- Makers Local 256 Kiosk
- Jacob's Ladder
- Ghostbusters & HALO Props & Costumes
- Jennifer contacted, agreement made. Need to get her text of the PSA. DONE
- Cleanup & Setup - Will start at 9pm on Friday, 12/4/09, but you are welcome to come at 7pm.
- Clean off tables and sweep floors.
- Set up projects and workspaces with tools, equipment and materials.
- Set up swap meet area. <- Will need additional tables, please bring some if you have any.
- Do we want to move the stage outside for more swap meet room? <- We might be able to get away with putting the swap meet outside. Weather is predicted to be mostly sunny for the weekend, only 10% chance of rain.
- Set up U-Stream <- If we are in agreement to run it. DONE
- Restock of ML256 Business Cards & Pamphlets <- If necessary
- Public Project Work or Learning/Teaching Area - Open tables for people who want to sit down and make stuff or run an improptu learning/teaching session. Would be nice to have a setup where visitors could come in and join in on the making. Something with basic tools and a projector and computer.
- Refreshments - The shop fridge will be open to the public.
- Swap Meet - Place where it won't be confused with our regular stuff we don't want to give away.